Kelly Clarkson Expresses Shock Over Beyoncé’s CMA Awards Snub: 'Weren’t Those Songs Everywhere?'

Kelly Clarkson Expresses Shock Over Beyoncé’s CMA Awards Snub: 'Weren’t Those Songs Everywhere?'

Kelly Clarkson is puzzled by Beyoncé's exclusion from the 2024 CMA Awards, though it’s something she can relate to herself.

Kelly Clarkson and Beyoncé Frazer Harrison/Getty Images; Kevin Winter/Getty Images for iHeartRadio

In a recent chat with NBC10 Boston, the Grammy-winning artist expressed her thoughts on Beyoncé's Cowboy Carter album being overlooked at the 58th Annual CMA Awards. Clarkson also spoke about her own struggles within the country music scene.

"I find it really interesting," she commented on the snub of the “Texas Hold ‘Em” singer. "Those songs were literally everywhere."

Cowboy Carter not only claimed the top spot on the Billboard 200 but also dominated the Top Country Album chart. Several tracks from the album, including “Texas Hold ‘Em,” reached the Billboard Hot 100's Top 10, with the latter hitting No. 1.

Clarkson noted that breaking into the country music world is challenging, even for her, despite her past efforts with tracks like "Don't Rush" featuring Vince Gill, "Tie It Up," and "Don't You Wanna Stay," a duet with Jason Aldean.

That industry is tough, even for me,” she shared. “I was told at a lunch that unless I gave up pop and fully switched to country, I wouldn’t get airplay. They said that to my face, and I just thought, ‘No offense, but I’m not going to limit myself to one genre.’”

The "Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)" star admitted that facing rejection in country music was tough, especially since she grew up on it, being a Texas native. "I bet Beyoncé can relate. We're both from Texas, so it's part of our upbringing," Clarkson added.

"It felt like doors were shut unless I completely committed to country and left everything else behind. But I don’t think people like me or even Beyoncé could do that. It’s not about wanting to; we just enjoy exploring different styles," she explained. "Why box yourself in?"

Clarkson has since come to terms with her career path and found happiness in her accomplishments. “Ultimately, I’ve learned that it’s not about the awards or recognition. People are showing up, right? You’re huge,” she said, referencing Beyoncé.

“People come to my concerts to hear everything – the country songs, the pop songs, all of it,” she continued. “I’m sure it’s the same for her. In the end, you don’t really need the award.”

Earlier this week, the 2024 CMA nominations were revealed, with Morgan Wallen leading the pack with seven nods, followed by Chris Stapleton and Cody Johnson, each with five. Post Malone and Lainey Wilson secured four nominations each.

Post a Comment

0 Comments