Tia Mowry Delivers Heartfelt Plea After Sonya Massey Police Shooting: 'When Will We Say Enough Is Enough?'

Tia Mowry is calling for action following the tragic death of Sonya Massey, a Black woman from Illinois who was shot and killed in her home by a sheriff’s deputy after calling 911 about a potential intruder.

Tia Mowry AMY SUSSMAN/GETTY IMAGES

In an emotional Instagram video posted on Tuesday, Mowry, visibly shaken, expressed her grief. “Okay, so… sorry,” the Family Reunion actress began, struggling to hold back tears. “I know this video isn’t glamorous, but I just watched Sonya’s video, and my heart breaks for her family.

I’m literally shaking right now because it’s so horrific and disgusting to see how someone’s life can be taken so abruptly. When will this end?”

Mowry also highlighted the importance of using social media platforms to speak out against police brutality.

She continued, “I saw many discussions about influencers needing to address these issues, and here I am. I’m deeply concerned for my 13-year-old son, Cree. You all know how passionate I am about my community and my people.

Having a young Black son who is tall and Black, I worry. I worry a lot. Now, I’ll have to have yet another conversation with him about staying safe. When will this end? When will enough be enough?”

In police body camera footage obtained by ABC News, it was revealed that Sonya Massey was shot in the face by Illinois Sheriff’s Deputy Sean Grayson on July 6. Grayson, who has since been dismissed from the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm, and official misconduct. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The incident occurred around 12:50 a.m. when Grayson and another unnamed deputy were dispatched to Massey’s home to check on a reported prowler. According to ABC News, Grayson allegedly shot Massey after she was “aggressively yelled” at by the deputy to put down a pot of boiling water, as detailed in the charging documents filed in Sangamon County Court.

Grayson reportedly turned on his body-worn camera only after the shooting, while the second deputy had activated his camera upon arriving at the scene, according to the documents.

Tia Mowry has joined other prominent figures, including Solange Knowles, Cardi B, President Joe Biden, and Vice President Kamala Harris, in speaking out about Sonya Massey's death.

President Biden issued a statement highlighting the broader issue of Black Americans facing safety fears that others may not. "Sonya’s death at the hands of a responding officer reminds us that all too often Black Americans face fears for their safety in ways many of the rest of us do not," Biden wrote.

He continued, "Sonya’s family deserves justice. I am heartbroken for her children and her entire family as they face this unthinkable and senseless loss. Jill and I mourn with the rest of the country and our prayers are with Sonya’s family, loved ones, and community during this devastating time.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments