Miley Cyrus Honors 'Hannah Montana' at Disney Legends Ceremony: 'I'm Still Proud to Stand Here!'

Miley Cyrus was honored as a Disney Legend on Sunday night, using the occasion to reflect on her Hannah Montana days.

Miley Cyrus at the Disney Legends Awards Ceremony at D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event on Aug. 11. The Walt Disney Company

At Disney’s D23 fan event in Anaheim, Cyrus was among 14 honorees recognized for their significant contributions to the company's legacy. The star fronted the hit Disney Channel series for four seasons from 2006 to 2011. She took the stage following a performance of her breakout song, “The Best of Both Worlds,” led by Lainey Wilson.

“I’m definitely going to cry,” Cyrus confessed to the audience, revealing that she had written two speeches: “One long if I’m the badass I’m supposed to be, and one short if I get scared.”

“In 2005, Disney was on a mission to rebuild and reimagine the company—that’s why they hired Bob Iger and me,” she quipped. “I remember this vividly because it was during the Hannah Montana audition process.

There was an electric buzz in that Burbank Disney office, where it’s rumored all of us Disney kids are created. I definitely wasn’t made in a lab, but if I was, there must have been a glitch in the system that caused me to malfunction between 2013 and 2016. Sorry, Mickey!”

Cyrus reminisced about landing the role and filming the early episodes, which also involved performing as her pop star character before anyone knew who she was.

“They handed out tickets at the Glendale mall where I had my first free concert. The first song I opened with was ‘This is the Life,’ which, of course, no one knew because, in reality, I was just a little girl in a blonde wig at the mall with a big dream,” she remembered. “But in my heart, I was Hannah Montana, and I was so proud to be.”

Cyrus went on, “A lot has changed since that day, but at the same time, nothing has changed at all. I’m still proud to have been Hannah Montana because she shaped who Miley is in so many ways.

This award is dedicated to Hannah and all of her incredible, loyal fans, and to everyone who helped make my dream a reality. As the legend herself would say, this is the life.”

Others honored at the ceremony included Colleen Atwood, Angela Bassett, Martha Blanding, James L. Brooks, James Cameron, Jamie Lee Curtis, Steve Ditko, Harrison Ford, Mark Henn, Frank Oz, Kelly Ripa, Joe Rohde, and John Williams.

Post a Comment

0 Comments