Will Smith Embarks on a Journey of Self-Discovery Through Music: 'It's a More Honest Place for Me!'

Will Smith’s return to music is a deeply personal journey.

During An Evening With Will Smith at the Grammy Museum on Thursday, before performing hits like “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It,” and “Miami,” he shared how transforming his pain into music has become the driving force behind this new phase in his career.

Will Smith performs onstage during the 2024 BET Awards at Peacock Theater on June 30 in Los Angeles. Kevin Winter/Getty Images

“Music is a more honest space for me, where I can express things I wouldn’t normally say, like uncertainty and sadness,” he revealed. “I’ve never allowed myself to publicly show sadness or anger. Now, I’m starting to be more honest with myself — I have a lot of fun in life, but sometimes I feel sad, and sometimes I get mad.”

The process of self-discovery and embracing vulnerability has been central to his journey toward self-acceptance.

“I’ve always had a warrior’s heart, but the most powerful thing a warrior can do is surrender to reality, surrender to difficulty,” Smith said. “Successes and wins are important, but I want people to see that I’m no different in facing challenges.”

One significant challenge was the notorious moment at the 2022 Oscars, where he slapped Chris Rock after a comment about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. His big-budget comeback came with the release of Bad Boys: Ride or Die this summer.

Reflecting on his personal growth, Smith shared, “I’ve been doing deep soul-searching, more than ever before, and I’ve discovered a new well of authenticity. I’m tapping into the most honest and genuine part of myself.”

Although Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff won the first-ever hip-hop Grammy in 1989, he’s now exploring new musical paths, including gospel, with tracks like “You Can Make It” and “Work of Art,” which he performed at the event.

“I don’t fit into [genre] boxes,” he explained. “I wasn’t trying to make a gospel record. I made songs that resonated with my emotional experiences in childhood, especially in church. The ideas are leaning more into the spiritual realm… but it’s still one story.”

As Smith embarks on this new chapter, his first since his 2017 release “Get Lit,” he’s collaborating closely with his family on his music.

“Working on music together at home, sharing ideas, it’s a new experience. As a parent, I’m learning that as I keep growing and improving myself, my children are drawn closer to me,” he said.

He added, “I’ve noticed that as I keep pushing through struggles and learning from them, my children aren’t distancing themselves… Another major part of working on this music and deepening my understanding of life is that I feel like I’m becoming a valuable elder.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments